Newfoundland in Canada was gripped by another freak winter storm this Friday 29th February 2020. This was its 22nd blizzard of the winter season.
Previously, over 70cm of snow had fallen in Newfoundland and Labrador in 48 hours whilst winds of up to 140 m/ph raged outside. Powerful blizzards ripped through these eastern Canadian provinces, developing into what’s known as a ‘bomb cyclone’. People were trapped inside because 76.2cm fell and blocked their front door and all exits.
Here are the 5 craziest things to come out of Newsfoundland’s Stormaggedon:
- Cars have literally been drowned by the snow, and people could simply not dig them out.
- People took ice-baths as a way of celebrating just how cold it was
- The wind was so powerful that it rang doorbells all over the region! Imagine opening your front door and instead of a friendly face ups are faced by an icy snow wall!
- One poor journalist who braved the battering snow storm to give us all an update actually got literally blown away !
- And on the positive side, shovellers who got tired of digging made themselves some chilly furniture; and when snow buried roads are buried in snow, people went sliding and many took up snowboarding in the streets.
Image copyright : Leona Rockwood
Article by : Rosaria.